I can tell already that these posts are going to get smaller and less frequent seeing as I don't have much time to write this one already.
Click here for a couple of new photos - at the end of the album
So I've been going to law classes most of the week, which have turned out to be really good. I haven't been picked on yet, the professors are really nice, but the reading is pretty long (but not Property Law long, law people, thank god!) and I've been a bit slack, still in holiday mode. Had my first lunch at the cafeteria with some newfound friends, which feels very American high-school - lunch trays etc. Went to the 'bar review' (get it?) on Thursday night (like a law PTN I suppose) with some lovely girls who invited me to their pre-drinks down the road. We went to The Kells, which is a bit like Naughto's except a lot nicer. The dance floor was ALL pop and hip-hop music (yay), they don't like most house music here (likewise, yay), much less European influenced. And boy can some of them dance. Think more 'Save the Last Dance' sort of moves rather than what we do. Had quite a good time meeting law people - one was named Chandler, except he obviously came before the show, but still an entertaining encounter. The beer here is weird and not great, and everyone says "Do you drink Fosters?" (the ads for Fosters here say "Australian for beer"...) and when I say "Not really" they look all confused as if it was the one thing they knew for sure about all Aussies (or as they would say, Ah-seeees).
On Friday I went to my orientation, which was mainly boring administrative stuff, but I met some exchange students (who were equally eager to make friends, of course). There's 20 exchange students all up, about half of them are Aussies. The rest are from Spain, France, Norway and even Chile. One is called....drumroll....Cosmo Krammer (said Krammmmmer, not Kray-mer) and obviously came before the show but what a coincidence! And he's Australian from Monash Uni! Got home that night and met my room-mate, who'd moved back while I was gone, called Mari (said Mary) and she's lovely and, most importantly, normal. We ordered takeout, after scanning the 10 pages of about 1000 meal options! Everything here is overkill.
And yesterday I went downtown with Sam (an Aussie) and Hilde (from Norway) on the T (the subway, which only took about 20 minutes) to explore and get a few more essentials. Walked out of the T station and there, right in front of me, was the Boston Legal building (see photos)! We went to the world-famous Filene's Basement, which has lots of discounted designer and mid-range brands, and I got some New Balance sneakers for $50 (they retail for around $200 in Australia!). We strolled down Newbury St, which I would say is about as popular and trendy as Chapel St at home, but it's way cuter cos all the little shops jut out from the walls and there's a couple of cafes with outdoor seating. We passed Potterybarn (like from Friends), which got me excited, only to find that Phoebe was correct - it's all antique-design rip-offs and not very cool. We had lunch at Au Bon Pain, this french pattisserie chain, whose coffee is pretty ordinary (have yet to find good coffee), but the Cheddar and Broccoli soup was awesome for the chilly weather. Then we strolled through Prudential Mall (the big inner city mall) and Copley Place, where I finally found some great wool-lined boots for when the storm comes. Had dinner out with Mari and her boyfriend in Allston, where most of the bars are, and discovered this concept called "free refills" with soft drink (terribly dangerous, I think) and curly fries with spicy salt. My eating habits are pretty poor right now cos we haven't hit the supermarket yet, but once we do I'm stocking up on the good stuff!
Classes start tomorrow. We're expecting a dump of snow with a storm and it's going to be terribly cold so I'm enjoying the sun while it lasts. Wish me luck!
Love Kate xox